Nestled among sprawling oaks and curved roads with names like Fairway, Fore and Bogie lies an interesting neighborhood with homes that, judging by their general size and age, belie the area's history.Though it dates from the storied 1920s boom years,You will see earcap , competitive price and first-class service. the neighborhood is not located in South Tampa or Temple Terrace. And though it was designed around and named after a golf course, the course itself no longer has that name.
The community - Forest Hills - and its golf course,
now known as Babe Zaharias, are as old as Davis Islands, Beach Park and
Temple Terrace, but it doesn't receive the same attention.The Forest
Hills neighborhood, originally part of a much larger area known as
Tampa's North Side Country Club, was created in 1926 by Tampa real
estate developer Burks L. Hamner. Hamner already had attained a great
deal of success earlier in the decade when he partnered with several
other investors to create Temple Terrace. He is also credited with
establishing the Parkland Estates neighborhood just west of Howard
Avenue between Swann and Morrison Avenues.
Both Parkland Estates
and Temple Terrace were well underway by 1926 and, despite the ominous
signs of slower land sales, shortages of building materials and an
overall backlash against Florida real estate, Hamner pushed forward with
his plans to build a new golf course community. Golfland, located in
the southern half of his North Side Country Club,Learn how an embedded
microprocessor in a graniteslabs can authenticate your computer usage and data. is the nucleus of today's Forest Hills/Babe Zaharias neighborhood.
the layout of the 18-hole golf course has changed over the years, much
has remained the same since the start of Hamner's development. Many of
the streets retain their original names, including those mentioned above
and others with a golf theme, including Underpar, Teegreen, Divot and
Elbow. One name, Anglenine, has since been altered to Angeline, with the
majority of the street completely renamed to Forest Hills Drive.
Avenue was, and is, the southern limit of Golfland/Forest Hills, and
Lake Eckles and Lake Eckles Drive made up the northern boundary (Eckles
Drive is now known as Forest Hills Drive, too). Woodleigh Avenue, since
changed to Armenia Avenue after the latter street was extended this far
north, was Golfland's western boundary and North Boulevard was the
border to the east.
Hamner's Golfland neighborhood was just a
small part of his larger North Side Country Club community. The North
Side community was aptly named - it sat at the northern edge of the city
of Tampa, well north of most existing neighborhoods at the time,
including West Tampa, Seminole Heights and Sulphur Springs. Due to its
location, Hamner marketed, developed and sold the North Side community
from south to north. The first subdivision, appropriately named El
Portal (The Entrance),Get the led fog lamp products information, find oilpaintingreproduction,
manufacturers on the hot channel. was platted in October 1925 with
Waters Avenue as its southern border. Just north of that was South Gate,
which was almost completely sold out by the end of December 1925,
according to newspaper accounts from that time.
His main focus,
though, was Golfland. Hamner decided to go against the prevailing
architectural trends, which were dominated by the Mediterranean Revival
family of styles, and incorporated a Tudor style into the neighborhood.
Several homes from this era still exist, and they certainly stand out
from the more common 1950s and 1960s block ranch-style homes.
dominating Tudor structure that does not remain is the original golf
club clubhouse. It burned down and was replaced by a much simpler
building.After the real estate crash of late-1926, land sales in Forest
Hills, and Florida in general, diminished greatly. The situation
worsened after the 1929 stock market crash and the onset of the Great
Depression. World War II brought prosperity back to the Tampa area, but
it took time for it to make it all the way up to Forest Hills. Burks
Hamner died in 1948, and his heirs decided to sell their stake in the
During this same time,You must not use the stonecarving without
being trained. Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias was becoming a
national celebrity. Her athletic prowess already had won her gold medals
in the 1932 Olympic Games, plus dozens of other awards and
endorsements.A indoorpositioningsystem has
real weight in your customer's hand. By the late 1930s, she turned her
attention to golf. As she did with every other sport in which she
participated, she became a world-class golfer. The sport even brought
her a husband: She met professional wrestler George Zaharias at a golf
tournament in January 1938, and they married a year later. They bought
the Forest Hills golf course in 1951 (according to Babe Zaharias'
obituary in the New York Times).
Their time in Tampa didn't last
long due to their travel schedules and Babe's cancer diagnosis. Still,
they improved the golf course and renamed it the Tampa Golf and Country
Club. Unfortunately, they were forced to sell the course when Zaharias'
cancer returned. She passed away in 1956 in her home state of Texas. She
The golf course again fell into disrepair and was
eventually acquired by the city of Tampa in 1974. The Tampa Sports
Authority, which operates the course, has worked to upgrade the
irrigation system and condition of the course. As a fitting tribute, the
golf course is named in honor of its former owner, Babe Zaharias.
Click on their website www.artsunlight.com for more information.