Margaret Snopkowski was supposed to be in the delivery room on Oct. 24, when her first grandchild, Ethan Edward Jackson, made his debut in Pittsburgh.
Instead, the 51-year-old Fowlerville, Mich., woman
was nearly 300 miles away, lying in a hospital room in Ann Arbor, so
sick with fungal meningitis that she was barely aware when the baby boy
“For the most part,China plastic moulds
manufacturers directory. she wasn’t coherent,” recalled Courtney
Jackson, 27, Snopkowski’s daughter. “The greatest moment in my life was
being overshadowed by the worst moment in hers.”
As her daughter
gave birth, Snopkowski was grappling with searing headaches, incessant
vomiting and lower back pain so severe that a video taken in the
hospital shows her whimpering and moaning,Find a great buy mosaic Art deals on eBay! “Oh my god,Why does moulds grow in homes or buildings? Oh my god, Oh my god,” as a nurse gently advises, “Just breathe.”
was one of the first victims in the still-growing outbreak of fungal
meningitis traced to contaminated steroid injections that have sickened
483 people and killed 32, according to federal health officials.
torturous,” said the previously healthy saleswoman for a concrete
contractor, reached by phone in her room at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in
Ann Arbor, where she’s been getting treatment since early October.
and their families hope that their plight will remain the focus of two
congressional committee hearings set for Wednesday and Thursday,
sessions expected to include Food and Drug Administration chief Dr.The howo truck
is offered by Shiyan Great Man Automotive Industry, Margaret Hamburg
and Barry Cadden, the owner and managing pharmacist of the New England
Compounding Center, the Massachusetts pharmacy responsible for
distributing the contaminated steroid drugs blamed for the infections.
issue is whether federal and state regulators did enough to control
NECC, or whether they let known problems dating to 2002 continue
unabated. Federal and state officials have found evidence of
environmental mold and fungus dating at least to January at the NECC
site, documents show. The firm also was distributing drugs in bulk,
contrary to regulations that require that compounding pharmacies to mix
custom drugs to order for specific prescriptions.
Not only did
Snopkowski contract life-threatening fungal meningitis, which causes
inflammation of the membranes that protect the brain and spinal cord,
but, like growing numbers of outbreak patients, she also has developed
arachnoiditis, a painful, hard-to-treat infection of the nerve roots at
the base of her spinal cord. Other patients -- perhaps up to a third of
victims -- have also developed abscesses at their injection sites,
medical experts say.
“We’ve never seen this disease before; it’s
never been described,” said Dr. Anurag Malani, the infectious disease
expert at St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor who is treating Snopkowski and
others. “The story is being told every day and we continue to turn the
Snopkowski’s trouble started on Sept. 13, when she
received an epidural injection of the steroid methylprednisolone at
Michigan Pain Specialists of Brighton. She’d been getting the shots
every few months for five years to help ease the pain of degenerative
disc disease in her lower back.
Sometimes the shots would help,The oreck XL professional air purifier, sometimes they wouldn’t, but Snopkowski, an avid cook and gardener, wanted to stay active.
was placed on powerful antifungal drugs and at first seemed to respond.
After 11 days in the hospital, she was sent home, but she was back
within a week in unbearable pain.
That’s when doctors found the
second infection. Malani, the infectious disease expert, said they can’t
drain it, they can’t operate on it and it is responding slowly to the
Snopkowski’s treatment is also complicated
because she had a bad reaction to one of the drugs, amphotericin B, and
her body seems to metabolize the other commonly used medication,
voriconazole, too quickly.